Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Unbearable Lightness of Being

.
The unbearable lightness of being.

That phrase, actually the title of a novel and a film, has been running through my mind for days now. It describes the emotions racing through me upon the inauguration of Barack Obama. I cannot describe how hopeful and fearful and excited I am. What words I come up with are just not adequate to my feelings.

I believe that this is a great man. Not a messiah, but an extraordinary human being who is far better equipped than any of the other people who might be leading us at this extraordinary time.
We have been through hell in the past eight years. I don’t need to detail the darkness. We are all far too familiar with it. The hell is not over. In some ways, it has just begun. We have so much work to do. The trouble is, we’re not always sure what steps we need to take to achieve our goals.

For eight years, we have been forced to accept the leadership of small people, people unequipped to deal with any problems, let alone the gigantic ones that have appeared. Some of those problems were brought on by our own stupidity; all are the result of bad leadership going back many years.

Finally, we have leadership whose policies we know to be the result of deep thought and great instincts. No longer will we distrust everything that comes out of the White House. No longer do we need to resist foolish directions and incompetent management. No longer will we view the people who serve us in our government as venal and contemptible.

He will make mistakes. His people will make mistakes. We will make mistakes. I pray that we will forgive with generosity of spirit. If we don’t, it won’t be because the people in the government are spreading hate and denigration. His leadership will see to that.

The transition is excruciating. Can we wrap our heads around the new atmosphere? Can we accept that pragmatism will rule? Can we prevent a reversion to the old ways?

Yes, we can.
.

1 comment:

Artemis said...

My husband and I spent the whole day and into the evening watching everything. How satisfying it was to hear and see a man who spoke like an intelligent adult who assumed he was addressing other intelligent adults. Seeing the love in his family and the love in the crowd healed some of the wounds of the last eight years. I'm looking forward to the future.